Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Candy Monster







Few things as a child are more sacred to you than candy. There might be a weird kid here or there that doesn’t like candy, but to most of us, candy was the preferred food group, appropriate for any time of day, number one on our top ten lists, and definitely on the must take items to the desert island. Candy is KING to children. I was no different.

Living down the street from a grocery store has many benefits. One of them is that my house was a ten minute walk to the candy aisle replete with every confectionary masterpiece of the late seventies early eighties era. Reggie bar anyone?

I come from a family of six, four kids over an eleven-year span and two tired-looking parents. We were large, even by Seventies standards, appropriate since my Mom was sort of Mormon and my dad was sort of Catholic. I was the last of the bunch, a full eleven years after my oldest brother. I reaped the benefits of being the youngest and by rights, cutest child of the bunch. *

My older brothers definitely treated me specially. My sister, however, was fair game and got the worst end of their orneriness. She was shot with rubber band guns, startled with firecrackers on the doorframe and badgered to tears every day of her young life. I, on the other hand, enjoyed a status of “off-limits”. No one picked on me because I was too little. 

One evening, my older brothers had made the 10-minute trek up to the store to pick up some candy for themselves. And in an oddly thoughtful gesture, they had picked up candy to share with Traci and I. It’s not to say that my brothers weren’t thoughtful to me, as I mentioned before they were. It’s just that they got candy for Traci too. It seemed odd and even Traci was wary of the offering at first, trying to ascertain how they had booby-trapped it.

The candies offered to us were a pack of Starburst and a Cherry Mash. Most people will recognize the former, but the latter might puzzle anyone whose hometown wasn’t in or around St. Joseph, MO, or isn’t about 150 years old.

Cherry Mash is a chocolate and nut-covered maraschino cherry nougat candy bar the size and shape of a pile of poo. It came in a red and white package that looked old-fashioned, even for 1977. It was old-people candy. If you go to CherryMash.com you will see what I mean. In fact, they call it a timeless treasure and brag about making them since 1876. That’s only twelve years after the end of the civil war. In 1876, we still thought leeches were the way to go in certain illnesses….

We were to choose which candy we wanted. As if there were a choice. Any person in their right mind would reach for the vibrant and tangy Starburst over old-person candy in its old-fashioned wrapper. Traci and I were both in our right-minds. And neither of us was willing to relent to the other.

In all fairness to my older sister, as a mother of three, I see how hard it is for the oldest child to get anything in life the way they want it. My oldest child is constantly having to compromise, share, and surrender the toy, the argument, and the floor before the committee. He rarely gets through a day without a bewildered wail of “It’s not fair!” and having to endure another platitude on how life isn’t fair delivered by his father and I.

In his, hers, and every other older child out there’s defense: You are right. It’s not fair. And saying “Life Isn’t Fair” doesn’t help at all, we know.

So this time Traci decided to stick to her guns and fight for her right to the candy she wanted. As a younger child used to getting my way and not really having to campaign for it, I resorted to my most successful tactic --the tantrum.

Mom, who was on to me, cut me off quickly and offered a bargain. How about we flip a quarter for it and see who gets the Starburst?

Traci and I thought this would work. We agreed. Mom grabbed a quarter and let me pick heads or tails. I picked heads. It was tails. Naturally.

Traci snatched up the Starburst and went to join my brothers in the living room to watch TV and enjoy the spoils of her victory. I decided to go back to my original tactic, only now it was a TANTRUM.

In my defense, I didn’t like to lose and hadn’t had a ton of experience with it. I usually got my way. Being on the unfair side of “Life Isn’t Fair” really stunk. I needed to communicate my disappointment so there would be no misunderstanding about my feelings on the matter.

Mom, who was on to me but still trying to use this as a teachable moment, tried to get me to try the Cherry Mash. She opened the old-person candy wrapper and offered the bumpy lump to me. I refused. She tried again and again until finally curiosity got the better of me and I decided to try it. After all, it was candy. How bad could it be?

Bad. Nasty. Nasty-bad.

I spit the bite into the sink with ferocity. TANTRUM was now compounded with outrage that this could be referred to as candy.

Mom, who was on to me and now over it, resorted to her big guns: Guilt.

“Your brothers walked all the way up to the store to bring you candy and this is how you act! How do you think that makes them feel? I am soooo disappointed in you.  You go in there and apologize and then go straight to bed.”

If guilt was a Barrack Buster then I was cave in Afghanistan. In all my tantrum throwing I had never considered how I was making my brothers feel. After all, they did take good care of me. It was really nice of them to bring my sister and I candy. I was acting like a pill and I was ashamed.

Could they help it if they didn’t know about the crispity, chocolaty, carmelly goodness of the Reggie bar? Or the novel delicacy of the stand-out-in-a-world-of-brown, white-fudge dipped Zero bar? Or the flavor burst of goo that gushed from a chomped on piece of Bubblicious bubble gum? If they liked the Cherry Mash, then didn’t I deserve to give it a second chance?

Still Nasty-bad. Spit it out again.

I skulked into the living room and apologized, red-eyed and ashamed. They didn’t seem to care much, gathered in a half-circle, stretched out on their sides on the brown shag carpet engrossed in the M*A*S*H episode flickering across their faces. I did go straight to bed that night, no candy.

My mom’s guilt bomb has left a mark on my heart. For years, it was a moment from my childhood of which I was ashamed. When I thought of it I might actually groan out-loud and scrunch my toes up in my shoes. I felt bad enough about it that I wanted to apologize again years later so I wouldn’t feel guilty about it anymore. I wondered if they always thought of what an ungrateful turkey I was about it when they gave me gifts after that day. I was embarrassed that I had made such a big deal about it at all.

As a mother, I have a new perspective on my bad choice. I am guessing if I mentioned this story to anyone now, they wouldn’t remember it. Or if they did, they wouldn’t have thought of it in years. My kids have had tantrums like this so many times I would have a hard time telling you what triggered one even from a week ago. My brothers probably remember other tantrums that were worse, or louder, or more obnoxious that I forgot.

I suspect that I remember this one because it taught me so much. I was too old to have had such a huge tantrum over the type of candy that someone brought me as a gift.  This incident flashes in my mind whenever I receive a gift I neither want nor appreciate.  The Cherry Mash taught me to be grateful for the gifts that people give me even if they aren’t exactly what you had in mind.

If I could go back in time, I would accept my loss gracefully and thank my brother for the candy he bought for me, as I should have in the first place.

THEN, I would walk myself up to the store and get him a real piece of candy, because the Cherry Mash? Yowsa.


* I can feel my sister getting mad as she reads this. It’s my essay, Traci; I can create the past however I choose.





2 comments:

  1. Enjoying your excellent memory - the best part of having a sister. I swear you remember things that I've long ago forgotten. Maybe I'm a candidate for an early Alzheimers clinical trial, but its like finding a forgotten roll of film or photo album that you've only seen once; keep em coming!! I'll use your brain cells any day. You can be the "cuter" little sister if I can be the "younger" one - deal??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember this incident and I don't hold any of it against you. I do remember torturing Traci and I'm happy that she won the coin toss. She didn't get many victories with her big brothers usually rigging the outcome!

    ReplyDelete